- A tribute gift recognizes a special occasion for a family member, friend or colleague. We will send an acknowledgement to the person you specify announcing the gift but not the amount.
- A memorial gift honors an individual who has passed away. We will send an acknowledgement to surviving family or friends without specifying the amount.
- A group gift from your school or organization will be acknowledged with a special certificate created especially for your class or special event.
- Your bequest can help sustain the vision of ADARC’s founding benefactors. Please call for details on how to remember ADARC in your estate planning.
Giving Securities to the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center
If you are making a gift of $1,000 or more, consider these advantages of giving securities:
- If you file an itemized return, you are entitled to a federal income-tax charitable deduction. Many state income-tax laws also allow for a charitable deduction.
- If the donated items have been held longterm (12 months or longer), you may claim a deduction for their full fair-market value.
- When appreciated securities are donated, you avoid paying tax on the capital gain.
Transfers from a Bank or Broker
If the securities are held by your bank or broker, it is usually best to transfer them electronically via the Depository Trust Company (DTC) system.
- Your name and address
- The name and ticker symbol of the security
- The number of shares
- The ADARC program or project you wish to be credited.
Bank of New York
1 Wall Street, 23rd Floor
New York, NY 10286
BONY DTC #: 954
Account Name: The Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center
Account Number: 10584330960
BONY contact: Stanley Borden
ADARC Federal tax ID: 13-3540234
Please contact Gary Gailor (see above) before issuing instructions to your broker. Unless you notify Gary of your gift we may be delayed recognizing you as the donor.
Transmittal of Certificates
If you hold the securities in certificate form:
Office of Development
The Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center
455 First Avenue, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10016
In a separate envelope, mail or deliver a stock or bond power for each security. Be sure to include a copy of your transmittal letter with the power. You can obtain blank powers from your bank or your broker. On the stock power, fill in only the description of the security and sign your name exactly as it appears on the face of the certificate. Do not fill in ADARC’s name as transferee or attorney to transfer on either the certificate(s) or stock power(s).
Many companies will make a matching gift to ADARC when one of their employees makes a donation. To find out if your company has such a program, contact your human resources administrator.
Limits on the Deductibility of Securities Gifts
A gift of long-term appreciated securities may be claimed as an income-tax charitable deduction in the year of the gift up to a limit of 30 percent of your adjusted gross income. Any excess deduction not claimed may be carried forward for an additional five years. If the donated securities were held less than 12 months, only your cost basis is deductible.
Effective Date and Valuation of Your Gift
If the security is transferred electronically through DTC:
The average of the high and low prices on the date of gift, which is the day the security is received into our brokerage account.
If the physical certificate is sent by U.S. mail:
The average of the high and low prices on the date of gift, which is the postmark date. If the certificate and the stock power are sent on different dates, the later date will be used.
If the certificate is hand delivered:
The average of the high and low prices on the date of gift, which is the date ADARC takes physical possession of either the certificate or the stock power, whichever is later. Please note that the IRS does not accept your receipt from private carriers such as Federal Express as evidence of mailing. Thus, if you need to substantiate a year-end gift, we suggest you use the U.S. Postal Service.
If there are no sales on the date of gift (i.e, a weekend) an inverse weighted average of the mean between the highest and lowest sales on the nearest date before and after the date of gift will be used. The average is weighted inversely by the respective number of trading days between the dates.
Gifts of Closely Held Stock
Cosely-held stock and other non-readily marketable securities may be donated to ADARC and moreover, they offer many tax advantages. However, these gifts involve special handling, and you are urged to contact ADARC’s Office of Development to explore the alternatives for structuring the gift.
If you hold securities that have declined in value, it is generally advisable not to donate them but rather to sell them to establish a tax loss and then donate the proceeds to ADARC.
Wiring Funds to the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center
Your gift may also be remitted by wire transfer directly to ADARC's bank account. For details, please contact Gary Gailor email@example.com or 212-448-5069.